Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The Tyranny of the Podcast

Am I the only one who longs for the benefits of the written word? Or are there others still out there who are dismayed by how much web content is moving to multimedia video and audio options?

I like to read. I can scan written content very quickly, and go back if I realize I missed something important. I can read faster than the conversational flow in most podcasts and video chats. I can focus on the content, instead of trying to decipher accents, or get past someone's funny-sounding voice, or bad production values. With very few exceptions - driving being the big one - I much prefer to read content than to listen to it.

And yet, it seems like more and more information I'd be interested in reading is getting put into podcasts and blogs instead. The NYT talks about the e-book pricing battle that broke out between Amazon and Macmillan - but on a podcast. Adam Engst and Andy Ihnatko, two columnists I love reading, discuss the iPad and the Amazon furor - but only on podcast. I feel like I'm getting increasingly closed out of discussions I'd love to follow, that take place only on audio/video.

Am I doomed to be a dinosaur here?

No comments:

Post a Comment